Site news

Omnipresence (6)
 God with Men

Picture of David Denninger
Omnipresence (6)
 God with Men
by David Denninger - Saturday, 23 March 2024, 3:13 AM

The word “omnipresent” draws attention particularly to the way God as infinite Spirit is constantly relating to every living person. The nature and effect of His immediate presence at every point in their existence is according to His wise and eternal purposes, His jealous right to them as their Creator, His witness to Himself, His great mercies, and His righteous determinations.

It is God Who determined the wages of sin — the just penalty for rebellion against Him and and for each attitude, intention, word, and action that brings hurt and evil into His good creation.

“But from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day you eat of it, dying you will die” (Gen 2:17).

It is God Who promised that the seed of the woman would bruise the serpent’s head (Gen 3:15).

It is God Who covered Adam’s and Eve’s shame with animal skins (Gen 3:21).

It is God Who drove man from the garden so that he and his race would not eat of the tree of life and live forever in separation from God (Gen 3:22-24).

It is God Who preserved physical dying so that He could provide a human sacrifice for sin that would bear the penalty for man.

“Then Yahweh passed by in front of him (Moses) and proclaimed, ‘Yahweh, Yahweh God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; Who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, Who forgives iniquity, transgression, and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished . . .’” (Exod 34:6-7).

“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them, for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, HIs eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks” (Rom 1:18-21).

God is always responding to each person according to that individual’s ways and deeds.

“I, Yahweh, search the heart,
I test the mind,
Even to give to each man according to his ways,
According to the results of his deeds” (Jer 17:10).

“‘The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity, not will the father bear the punishment for the son’s iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.’”

“‘But if the wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed and observes all My statutes and practices justice and righteousness, he shall surely live; he shall not die. All his transgressions which he has committed will not be remembered against him; because of his righteousness which he has practiced, he will live.’”

“‘Do I have any pleasure in the death of the wicked,’ declares the Lord God, ‘rather than that he should turn from his ways and live?’” (Ezek 18:20-23).

“For the Lord has recompensed me according to my righteousness,
According to the cleanness of my hands in His eyes.”

“With the kind You show Yourself kind;
With the blameless You show Yourself blameless;
With the pure You show Yourself pure;
And with the crooked You show Yourself astute.

For You save an afflicted people,
But haughty eyes You abase” (Ps 18:24-27).

(Spotlight 6, Lesson 6 in Doctrine 101: Learning about God)