Site news

Omnipresence (5) God’s Holy Presence

Picture of David Denninger
Omnipresence (5) God’s Holy Presence
by David Denninger - Saturday, 23 March 2024, 3:13 AM

“In Him (God’s beloved Son) all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities — all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together” (Col 1:16-17).

He is everywhere in His fullness, causing and sustaining every aspect of His creation for His own sake.

All things are held together in the Son, but they do not become God or part of God. They exist by His will and by the enabling power of His presence.

It is all constantly dependent on Him and His will. The universe and everything that fills it exists as the the ongoing demonstration of His goodness, wisdom, power, and glory. It points to Him and it exists for His purposes.

“They all wait for You
To give them their food in due season.
You give to them, they gather up;
You open Your hand, they are satisfied with good.”

“You hide Your face, they are dismayed;
You take away their spirit, they expire
And return to their dust.”

“You send forth Your Spirit, they are created;
And You renew the face of the ground.”

Let the glory of the Lord endure forever;
Let the Lord be glad in His works!” (Ps 104:27-31)

He is always ensuring that all things are working toward the purposes of His will.

God is holy and remains distinct from His creation. It is the work of His hands and the result of His command, not an extension of Him. We live and move and exist in Him, but we do not become Him.

Every idea and teaching that we can discover God in us by centering on ourselves is false. It is the serpent’s ancient lie, “You will be like God” (Gen 3:5).

“I am God, and there is no one like Me” (Isa 46:9).

“Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other” (Isa 45:22).

“Then Job . . .  fell to the ground and worshipped. He said,

‘Naked I came forth from the womb of my mother,
And naked I shall return thither:
Yahweh has given and Yahweh has taken;
Blessed be the name of Yahweh’” (Job 1:20-21).

(Spotlight 5, Lesson 6 in Doctrine 101: Learning about God)