Site news

God Is Just (4) Dealing with evil

Picture of David Denninger
God Is Just (4) Dealing with evil
by David Denninger - Saturday, 23 March 2024, 2:49 AM

As a result of God's righteousness, it is necessary that He treat people as they deserve. This is what justice requires. Sin must be punished, for if God did not punish He would be unrighteous.

a. God prescribes what is just.

“He is the Lord our God;
His judgments are in all the earth” (Ps 105:7).

“Give ear to Me, O My nation;
For a law will go forth from Me,
And I will set My justice for a light of the peoples” (Isa 51:4).

The Law God revealed to Israel and preserved in the Old Testament contains not only commands, but also judgments. These instructions provide mankind with the knowledge of the consequences He requires when His laws and commandments are broken. 

God’s word to Adam in Genesis 2:17 is both law and judgment (command and consequence):

“From the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

Judgments (also referred to as “statutes”) can usually be stated or restated in the formula “if . . . then.” If a man breaks this law, then this is the sentence the judge must give — the punishment that must be applied or the restitution that must be required. 

b. God appoints men to execute justice on His behalf.

God’s provision for governing His world in justice is through those who are appointed as judges in each nation and community.

“For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for he is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword for nothing; for he is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who does evil” (Rom 13:3-4).

“Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right” (1 Peter 2:13-14).

God’s intention that justice should also be man’s responsibility is implicit in His initial blessing  and command to Adam: “. . . and rule . . . over every living thing” (Gen 1:28).

We find God’s earliest judicial instruction to mankind in His requirement that the descendants of Noah execute murderers. 

“Whoever sheds man’s blood,
By man his blood shall be shed,
For in the image of God He made man” (Gen 9:6).

Then, when men increased in the earth again, God separated them into nations and languages, providing a natural division into separate, governable societies.

Anticipating the time when Israel’s tribes would be settled in Canaan, God specifies the provision He is ordaining for executing His justice in His nation.

“You shall appoint for yourself judges and officers in all your towns . . ., according to your tribes, and they shall judge the people with righteous judgment” (Deut 16:18).

Solomon’s counsel applies to every nation.

"Righteousness exalts a nation,
But sin is a reproach (brings judgment) to any people” (Prov 14:34).

“Take away the wicked before the king,
And his throne will be established in righteousness” (Prov 25:5).

(Spotlight 4, Lesson 10 in Doctrine 101: Learning about God)