Site news

Tri-unity (2) Meeting the Spirit

Picture of David Denninger
Tri-unity (2) Meeting the Spirit
by David Denninger - Saturday, 23 March 2024, 3:25 AM

Meeting the Spirit 

(Old Testament revelation and realization)

The first detail God reveals about Himself as “Us” appears in the second verse of His recorded revelation: “And the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters” (Gen 1:2).

God creates, and the heavens and the earth come into being (v. 1). Beginning in verse 2, the creation account turns its full attention to the earth. Over the darkness and waters covering the earth, it is the Spirit of God Who is moving (v. 2) as God speaks (v. 3).

Generations later, when men have multiplied on the earth and God determines to destroy the earth because of its wickedness, we read these words: “Then the Lord said, ‘My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, . . .’” (Gen 6:3).

It is through His Spirit:

• that all animate life comes forth and is sustained in the earth: “You send forth Your Spirit, they are created” (Ps 104:30):
  • that the Lord relates to those who acknowledge Him: 

“Where shall I go from Your Spirit?” (Ps 139:7). 

“Do not take Your Holy Spirit from Me” (Ps 51:11).

• that God anoints and empowers each individual He calls to lead His people and to accomplish His will: e.g., Bezalel (appointed to construct the tabernacle, Exod 35:30-31), 70 elders (Num 11:25), Joshua, judges, kings, prophets.

Questions:

How do we know from the Old Testament that ”the Spirit” is God?

What do the things the Spirit does indicate about His power?

What can we say about the relationship between “the Lord” and the Holy Spirit?

(Spotlight 2, Lesson 3 in Doctrine 101: Learning about God)